February 2, 2011

Lotus Mahal

My wife and I returned home yesterday from a very tiring, 5 day long trip but we enjoyed every bit of it as we love to travel. We visited Hampi (Ruins of Vijayanagar Empire), Cave temples of Badami, Patadkal group of temples and Aihole. I have loads of photos and information to share from out trip and todays post is a gist of what's to come.

Hampi is listed in UNESCO world heritage site and is famous among tourists for its monuments which dates back to 13th-15th century, its a backpackers paradise and a practical class room for history students. Very few structures were left undamaged during the siege of the city and one such building is Lotus Mahal aka Chitragani Mahal. 

Lotus Mahal is an highlight in Zenana Enclosure and is one of the most photographed building in Hampi, it is symmetrically laid out, with equal projections on four sides.The archways and the balcony with the domed construction resemble a half opened lotus bud and thus gets its name Lotus Mahal.

Lotus Mahal, Hampi (HDR Image with texture)
HDR Image of Lotus Mahal, Hampi.
Lotus Mahal is made out of lime mortar and brick unlike any other structures in hampi, it stands near to the middle of a high walled compound in the northeast corner of the Royal Centre. Octagonal and square watchtowers are built into the compound walls. Its built in Indo-Islamic style and is a curious mix of Hindu temple like elements and Islamic sultanate elements.

HDR Image with sepia tone, I kinda like this one, Which one do you like
Lotus Mahal in Hampi.
The exact function of this is not surely known. some say this was a socializing area for the women folks in the royal family and some say it served as a meeting place of the emperor and his closest advisors. It is said that water used to be poured on the roof of the mahal, the pillars and the roof absorb this water and give a cooling effect, something like a AC Room.

To get regular updates, you can sign in as follower or subscribe to RSS or Email Feed
Skywatch / Foto Friday / Best Shot / Photostory / Scenic Sunday / My World / Shadow Shot / Blue Monday / Outdoor Wednesday / Creative Exchange 

35 comments:

  1. brilliant work! love the sepia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course, I love them both, but the sepia is particularly cool! Great shots for the day, Sam! I'm a bit envious of your blue skies! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the first picture better. What an incredible building it is, such intricate carving! It is breathtaking to behold. I am 66-years-old and am hoping to get back to India before I die. My only other visit, some 16 days ago, I only visited Mumbai where I stayed with friends - did make it to see the Taj but since the wife of my friend was having problems with her pregnancy, I stayed close to their home, not wanting her to take any chances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them both, but I think the first is my favorite. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a beautiful building.. wonderfully captured :) Both are nice but I am particularly fond of the sepia... I think it really adds to such antiquities as this building..but that's purely personal preference hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sepia toned one too. It has a very interesting feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photo! I love your edit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome, Anthony! I love your processing on both...stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a gorgeous building! I am definitely in favor of the sepia tone

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is incredibly beautiful! The detail in the architecture is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. Both are phenomenal, but the sepia image gets my vote. I am normally a color person, but just screams in sepia. Fantastic shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just so great! I think the second photo is particularly cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing place! I like both photos, the sepia is great, but I do like the warmth of the building surface in the color photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such amazing architecture. I love both versions but I think the sepia is particularly cool in this instance. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photo! I love your editing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely gorgeous! I think I like the first one more because of the contrast of the colors, especially the lady's sari and the trees against the stone. The second one looks like something out of a wonderful coffee table history book - also amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I like the second one best...such an old world feel to it. Both are stunning though! Thanks for linking up to PSF this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous photos of amazing architecture! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Splendid shots of the Lotus Mahal. I've seen it, and can appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An ancient temple with a guy standing nearby on a cell phone--of course!

    SILLY SHADOW DITTY

    Shadows may or may not be
    Patterns of urbanity.
    If a shadow threatens you,
    Here, my dear, is what to do:
    Grab the shadow by the throat,
    Toss it to a billy goat,
    So the goat can chomp and chew,
    Keeping it away from you!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Sinister, Shadowy Spyhole

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous architecture and I love the sepia version!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photo and great explanation. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for this wonderful post. I felt like I had been right with you. At least you gave me a glimpse of things I will never see.:((:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your blog and photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous structure, and you have captured it so beautifully!! I am going to go with the sepia tones. I think it fits the structure perfectly.
    Thank you so much for sharing these this week at The Creative Exchange.
    Have a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like both variations you have done for this beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
  27. its a beautiful place! i like the postprocessing you did on the photo. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow- what a splendid building! Both versions are lovely, but I love the colors in the first.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful piece of architecture! If I had to choose a favorite image it would possibly be the second. I often find that the monotones of black and white and sepia seem to reveal more of the contours of a building. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete

Friends