The Lalitha Mahal is the second largest palace in Mysore. It is located near the Chamundi Hills, east of the city. Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV commissioned this two-storied Palace in 1921. This Palace was built to exclusively to accommodate the Viceroy of India. The palace is noted for its white colour and is visible from a great distance. This Palace is designed in Renaissance style and included designs concepts from the Italian palazzo and English manor.
The Palace meant for special royal guests has now been converted into a heritage category five-star. The Palace has been maintained very carefully to keeps its grandeur intact. Life size portraits of the royalty of Mysore, lithographs portraying Tippu Sultan's battles with the British decorate the main hall and most of the old Palace furniture is being used in the hotel to this day